Wednesday, September 30, 2009

The Matrix and Philosophy - Blog 3

The reading that interested me most is Skepticism, Morality and The Matrix by Gerald Erion and Barry Smith. They talk about why we might be living in the Matrix and they are skeptic that we cannot know for sure that the external world exists. I highly agree that we do not know for certain that there is a Matrix. What particularly interested me is the ideas of Rene Descartes. He believed that a “malicious demon of the utmost power and cunning has employed all his energies in order to deceive.” I like this idea because there could be a possibility of a demon making us think or do whatever he wants without us being cognisant of what is happening. Peter Unger has a similar idea but instead of a malicious demon controlling you he thinks a evil scientist is. I completely agree to their ideas because we have no idea if this is true but there’s a possibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment